Thursday, July 30, 2015

Willard Beach



We went to the beach once last year, and it was short lived due to the huge storm clouds that rolled in. I don't think I even managed to get any sand in my hair, that's how quick we were in and out. I have to admit, I'm not an ocean lover. Living in Maine near the coast has not lulled me to the sandy shores, I'd much rather relax near a lake or go camping. But there is something about laying down on the hot sand under the sun with a gentle ocean breeze that is definitely appealing! 

The squeeze and I made it a point to make it to the beach at least once before we leave, Wednesday's weather was 80's and sunny, perfect day for it. I wanted to go to Willard Beach because A) it's free and B) it's actually a nice, clean, and relatively uncrowded beach. It's near SMCC, but to get to it you have to slightly navigate through a neighborhood and park on a dead end street next to someone's beach house. I like this because it almost makes it feel like a little secret, and only you and the other few cars parked on the dead end road know how to get there. In reality this is not the case and there's several ways to get there and there are lots of other people basking in the sun. Regardless, I still like the experience of getting there.

And look at this cute entryway, isn't it the cutest entryway you've ever seen?? Bees love these flowers, they're only around for a little while and wilt away quickly so there's always a million yellow buzzing things nearby. It was a great beach day, we lay side by side in the sun for a couple hours talking about our itinerary for Disney, and then headed home to begin packing up our apartment. I left with a lovely memory and a terrible sunburn (my own fault as didn't apply a single drop of sunscreen). 

I say I won't miss the ocean when we are in Texas, but it may hit home that it's not nearby anymore once we are actually there. I think being used to something that's so accessible and so synonymous with your home state might be harder to let go of than I imagine. We could always visit the Gulf when we are in TX, but a trip back to a Maine beach may be in order when we visit, not even to swim in but just to smell the salty air. Two more days and it will be August!

2 comments:

  1. I suspect when you're gone from it, yes, you will miss it. I've only been to any ocean a handful of times, and in each case, the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sand in Mom's egg salad sandwiches is a wonderful memory of Willard Beach. Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Pine Point, OOB, Crecent, Ferry, Willard, Higgins. Southern Maine has fine sandy beaches.

    ReplyDelete