Monday, March 16, 2015

Top of the East



This is actually from last winter, but we haven't been to the Top of the East since then. This was about the same time last year, the only scenic difference is Portland's infamous colored lights, this time around those in the center are purple, red, and white. We can currently see the Top from our apartment, and if we trekked up to the Top I'm sure we could probably see our apartment.

The new irony is that the well known bar located at the top of this large Portland hotel has been called the Top of the East for some time, but now the actual hotel has changed its name and is currently dubbed The Westin. East, west, north, south? I don't have an internal compass of sorts, if you were to give me directions and tell me to travel east on blah blah blah, I would have no idea where I was going. But that's OK because Portland is the smallest big city there is, you really don't have to travel far and end up memorizing locations. In fact, I find it comical when 'out of towners' can't find their way around the city, the one-way roads and cobblestone often confuse people.

I'll be one of those people once we move so I should really swallow my words. It'll be scary not knowing where anything is, but exciting as well!

3 comments:

  1. Well, at least they kept the old EASTLAND sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have ourselves a maze of one way roads as well. It's no problem for a pedestrian, but it can wreck havoc with drivers unfamiliar with the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can usually tell immediately if someone is from out of town!

      Delete