Saturday, June 27, 2015

Home



I tried to get a good angle of our apartment building but it's kinda hard on this street due to all the cars passing and trees blooming. You can really only see a third of the building here... we're the second floor on the left hidden behind the leaves. It's a beautiful large brick structure with bits of gothic style, what was once supposedly a single family dwelling is now a 16 unit apartment building. Like I said, it's huge! 

I did a little Googling and came across this black and white photo of when the building was relatively new. If we're speaking in house years though I don't think the building would be considered "old" today, built in 1924 it's not even a 100 years old yet. When we moved in last year it had just celebrated its 90th birthday. We know of some recent history in the building, but I'm sure every home has some skeletons in its closet. The squeeze and I both agree that this has been our favorite apartment either of us has lived in, what a wonderful first place this has been!

I know nothing we find in Austin will have the charm like the buildings in Portland do; from wonky floors to temperamental showers, fake decorative mantels to enormous bay windows. I will miss the massive brick walls we have and the loft above our bed, the crooked kitchen cabinets and the sink that sounds like it's choking on water. It will be a bittersweet farewell when we say our goodbyes to our spooky house.




4 comments:

  1. That is a great building and a great apartment. Remember, 'old' things are good....cough, cough. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't call certain things old, more like collectibles :D

      Delete
  2. That must have been an amazing single family structure. Sixteen units now pretty much destroys what it WAS. It is a comfy place to hang out though. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The building reminds me of many a place here, including the one I live in. Of course, our three floors are only divided into six units total.

    ReplyDelete