Thursday, June 18, 2015

Christmas Farm



I've come to the conclusion that alpacas are basically deer camels. Honestly I can't even remember if this is an alpaca or llama, my Google search did me no good as I'm now more confused than ever (what are you??). This is at the Christmas Farm, an adorable little house/barn/farm animal sanctuary located near the squeeze's home in Buxton. One morning the squeeze proclaimed we should visit the Christmas Farm since it was a beautiful day out, so we headed up. You can tell you're approaching the little farm because of the "fresh eggs" sign hanging on a little post, I don't think they had any at the moment though or else I would have come home with a dozen.

There was no obvious entrance and the home's front door is mainly decorative, we didn't want to go snooping too much to find the functional entryway so we cautiously walked the perimeters of the back yard. The alpacas heard us chatting and several of them poked their heads through the tiny window of the shed attached to their grazing area. They stood motionless, staring at us, it was comical yet kinda creepy. We approached the shed and took a peek through the wiring to see many others making their way towards us, one in serious need of braces with its crazy under-bite.

Eventually we bumped into the woman who lives there and she let us take a peek inside the barn where a pile of them were nestled together. "I don't even know why we have alpacas!" She said they were thinking about selling them, they had purchased the Christmas Farm from someone else and his herd of animals came with the property. What would one even do with 15 alpacas? Shear them I guess? You can't eat them or cozy up to them, seems like a cute but useless pet if you ask me.

They did have chickens though, a whole flock of them with a feisty rooster who kept loudly cock-a-doodle-dooing. I've secretly always wanted a little chicken coop with three hens. I'd give them majestic names like Florence and Charlotte. Fresh eggs for days.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if alpacas have the same loathing for dogs that llamas do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are currently putting in a pool and a hot tub...for the humans, of course. I think they shear them (alpacas) and make yarn. They have a facebook page!

    ReplyDelete