Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day



I would like to wish a very, very happy Father's Day to my dad! Here he is in all his might and glory, being a good sport while trying to stay dry in my sister's XS sweatshirt out on the boat. He also just turned 52 years young two days prior, don't tell him he looks good for his age or we'll never hear the end of it (insert chuckle here).

I do want to acknowledge all the good he has done for me though, all the while looking much younger than he really is. When I was little I lived with my mum, my dad had visitations with me on Sunday's, which was for the most part usually his only day off. He would drive 40 minutes to pick me up in Windham, spend the afternoon taking me to see a movie, go to the mall, buy me Pokemon cards, grab some food, and bring me back home at the end of the night. I looked forward to Sunday's so much! 

My dad bought me my first video game, he surprised me with a Super Nintendo for my birthday one year. Whenever he would visit we would sit side by side, mouths open, eyes glued to the TV, and play Super Mario for hours. Somewhere there's photographic evidence of this. This led to quite the video game obsession and over the years my dad surprised me with an N64, Playstation 2, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advanced (not to mention many, many Pokemon cards).

Around the age of 15 I went to live with my dad, I was devastated to leave behind my school and the only friends I knew, fortunately it ended up being one of the best things to ever happen. My dad adapted pretty well to suddenly having a teenage girl living with him, I have to give him a lot of credit. 

Now at 26 I can say not much has changed, I still look forward to seeing my dad and we still have a lot of fun together. These days it's just him in the parent picture, and I'm OK with that. Papa, thanks for being you!

2 comments: