Monday, June 22, 2015

Giant



Do you have any idea how difficult it is finding a gently used bicycle? Scratch the gently used part, any used bicycle?? At least in the southern Maine area it was like trying to spot a polar bear in Florida. Usually I stick to gift cards or a bottle of Courvoisier for all father related things, but this year for his birthday my dad exclaimed he wanted a bicycle. I scratched my head at this... does he even know how to ride a bike? If he does I've never witnessed it.

So one Sunday afternoon, the squeeze and I picked up my dad and headed to Portland to go bike shopping. I figured the city out of all places would have a plethora of used bicycles to choose from, I see dozens of people cycling on my way to work every morning. What a crazy assumption that apparently was. We stopped at about four or five bike shops all over the city, and nothing. You heard me, nada, zip, zilch, nope, diddly squat. In fact, one of the places everyone mutually recommended, Port City Bikes, literally had nothing but tires kicking around in their shop.

I planned ahead in case this would happen and got a general idea of what the least expensive new hybrid bicycle would run me. That number is $400, we're talking an entry level beginner bike with no (literal) bells and whistles. Either I've been in the dark about bicycle prices because I haven't owned one since I was 13, or my frugal family genetics have me avoiding expensive hobbies. Now I know how people must feel when they shop for new cars after having the same Honda Accord for 15 years.

I told my dad if I catch it collecting cobwebs that he'll never hear the end of it. The squeeze was kind enough to buy him a bicycle helmet, with my dad's consent we picked him up a neon yellow one. I have to say I'm super excited about that in itself.

Now we just need to slap a tiny basket on the front to house a little dog.



3 comments:

  1. I haven't been on a bike myself in years, but you don't particularly lose the skill once you've got it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well....news update. Have you seen the wheels turning yet??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still no news if he's actually ridden it yet. So far not off to a good start.

      Delete