Thursday, May 28, 2015

Lessons



You live and you learn, right? You make mistakes and you learn. And sometimes you repeat said mistakes and you learn. Or not. 

Throughout our seven or so years together, I've learned Pig cannot be trusted around candles. She has some strange desire to sit with her little face inches away from the flame, usually burning the ends of her whiskers until they are nothing but crisp and curly stubs. This applies to the whiskers above her eyes too, it's quite a hilarious sight when you get the chance to witness it. Candles are one of my favorite things, I love the warmth they bring to a room and the scent they fill a space with. You see my dilemma. Here she is, more cautiously might I add than usual, staring off into the little yellow flame. Sometimes I catch her inching towards it while her eyes are closed and her little nose is wrinkled to catch the scent. She will never learn, which means I will have forever have a cat with burnt whiskers.

 And no, I will not give up my candles.

Who hasn't repeated mistakes while knowing the outcome? I think every person on the planet is guilty of that. I for one know that eating a whole plate of waffle fry nachos from Sebago Brewing Co. is a terrible idea and always causes me significant abdominal discomfort after. Do I still eat the entire plate? Of course. Is it still a surprise to me? Only at first because of denial that it won't happen this time around. I don't think Pig is in denial, I think she doesn't realize her whiskers are on fire.

I'm ready to live and learn though, two more months.


3 comments:

  1. Ask J about WIZ, walking slowly by a candle on the kitchen table and me observing smoke from a slight encounter with the glowing taper. He never even knew it. Me....freaked me out for life!
    Get a glass container for the candle to sit in that's a little higher than the candle. Dollar stores have stuff like that. Or a little lantern to put the candle in.
    But look how cute she is......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can luckily say she has never set her tail on fire haha But she does look adorable sitting there all curious-like.

      Delete
  2. I imagine she gets mesmerized by it.

    ReplyDelete