Thursday, May 14, 2015

Rally



This is the hood of an old Miata. Why is it covered in confetti and a winged T-Rex duking it out with an evil unicorn you might ask? Well, because car rally. Short of a few minor details, that really is the answer. 

There isn't a very large 'car scene' up here in Maine, let alone many fellow girls who are interested in Cars and Coffee kind of gatherings (in TX I hear C&C is a big thing). Back in 2013 I met a couple of female car enthusiasts on a Mitsubishi forum, we all happened to live in New England - one in CT and the other in RI. The three of us became pretty close and visited the others' home state. Through the forum we heard about this New England Rally that was happening in the summer, it was a Poker Run of sorts and spanned the course of three days. My friend from RI and I signed up and handed over the hefty enrollment fee, but after the experience I can say it was well worth it! We were the first all girl team they had (which they gave us a goody bag for), we called ourselves The Lulzers. We both drove Mitsubishi Lancers, which were referred to as Lulzers on the forum.

Back to the hood. The person in the forum who introduced us to the Rally asked me to custom paint his Miata hood. He literally asked for technicolor dinosaurs and unicorns. The goal was bright and obnoxious. So when it was rally time we showed up to our first destination, and from a mile away I could see the hood I painted! It was a big success, due to the sheer ridiculousness of it all. After the Poker Run was over, they continued to drive around CT with the hood covered in neon, stopping at small car meets along the way. For a brief stint people would reach out saying they saw it around. I think they've since parted out the Miata and sold it, the hood may be hanging on a wall in the garage.

If you ever have an itch to do something outrageous to your car, let me know.

4 comments:

  1. There is no way on God's green earth that this fella puts a unicorn on anything that I'm movin' in or standing next to for that matter. Ain't gonna happen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your truck would look great with a splash of color!

      Delete
  2. Oh, boy, that car owner's missing a couple of jacks, a king of diamonds, a queen of hearts, and the ten of spades from his mental deck of cards!

    ReplyDelete