Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Bunks



The squeeze and I took a day trip out to Kennebunkport yesterday, opting for some adventure versus household chores. That's not 100% true... I still cleaned the apartment from top to bottom, but fit it into our schedule for the day. How can I relax when the rug desperately needs to be vacuumed??

Anyways. I couldn't remember the last time I came down this way. What a quaint little spot The Bunks are! Unfortunately for us we got there a little late in the day and didn't stop to think that all the tiny shops closed at dinner time. We should have known better considering all of the stores in the Old Port close at 5pm or earlier. Oops. We managed to check out a few of them before the doors closed for the evening, all housing little Maine trinkets and handmade items. A coffee shop was open, but the fudge store next to it was closed. coffee with fudge would have been nice.

A shop called Compliments was having a large 50% off sale, the gentleman curiously advised me towards the gold rings... not sure what he was suggesting. He claimed they ran this huge sale once every four years so our timing was great. Right. The shop itself had a bizarre collection of items ranging from enormous kaleidoscopes to crazy 80's lamps to bars of handmade soap. Oh, and of course gold jewelry.

We made our way over the bridge that separates The Bunks, out of curiosity we trekked into the wine shop that was sitting to the right. I shyly asked the guy at the register if they had any inexpensive sweet white wines, he could sense my embarrassment and told me to never be worry about what anyone thinks and to drink what I like. "F*** 'em!" he exclaimed, "I drink chardonnay while my wife drinks Jack and Coke." So I proudly left with a $9 bottle of Moscato. My name is Yelena, and I like cheap sweet white wine.

We ended our trip with dinner at Federal Jack's, a decent lunch/dinner spot with a pretty view. A successful night for sure, the squeeze and I agreed we really should take more day trips. Where to next?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day!

    Acadia would probably be more than a day trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perkins Cove in Ogunquit. Then walk part of the Marginal Way right along the water toward town.
    When it gets nicer, do the Kangamangus Highway Loop in New Hampshire. Boothbay Harbor is nice, too.

    ReplyDelete