Thursday, August 13, 2015

Last Minute Touches



I always try and stick to my word, and for the most part (I'd even say 98% of the time) I do. I also try and stick to my word in a timely fashion, but that's something that I haven't quite mastered. If I promise to do something, I will, it just might take a while... or a year. That was the case with this tropical fish painting. My good friend Kristy, at the perfect age of 30, decided after many years of thinking she didn't want children, that now something felt right. 

Months later I visited her at her baby shower with her big baby Ronan belly. My gift was going to be a painting for his room, but I showed up empty-handed because I had started the painting and got frustrated with it. I promised her she would have something to hang on the wall... and then Ronan had his first birthday a month ago. I know, I know, shame on me. I stared at this painting in our living room for months but I just couldn't get myself to tackle it.

After we moved into the squeeze's rents' home I decided I had no excuse and spent two days finishing it up. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and Kristy seemed thrilled so that makes me not only relieved but ecstatic that it wasn't a disaster.


This little guy I promised I would make for a (now former) coworker. He always asked me about my paintings so I offered to make something for one of his little girls. She loves penguins, so I whipped up this little 8x8 panel and modge-podged some hand-cut tissue paper snowflakes on the edges. I also promised I would have this ready for my last day of work... which didn't happen... but I'm bringing it with me when I pick up my last paycheck at work tomorrow, so I did eventually follow through!

It's been nice having so much free time recently, I've been able to catch up on a lot of art I've been putting off. Now that all my 'promises' are completed and (mostly) delivered it's time to really focus on our move. Relaxing can my stressful, that's for sure.

3 comments: