Sunday, September 6, 2015

New Orleans



After a good five plus hours of driving from Tallahassee we made it to New Orleans! I have to admit, it's not quite what I expected. Some things haven't been too far off from what I imagined they would be like, but NO was a little bit of a surprise. Leading up to the city everything was connected by bridges over rivers and swamps, bayous were everywhere, it was quite a change of scenery! 

Approaching the city skyline we began to see remnants of Katrina, there were empty parking lots scattered along the main roads with bent street lights, buildings with empty windows, and only portions of rooftops remaining. There were clearly areas to avoid, but there were no clear lines separating the good and bad parts of the city. Our hotel was right in the French Quarter, where Mardi Gras takes over every spring break, Bourbon Street to be exact. We were a block away so once we were settled in we immediately grabbed some cajun food and hurricanes! Of course we had to get the large take-home novelty cups which contained four shots of liquor, so things began to lighten up a bit.












I think we took for granted how safe Maine is, how for the most part you can stroll through Portland at any hour and not have to clutch your purse at your side. Obviously every state has its shortcomings, but I've never been nervous back home. In New Orleans the squeeze and I were definitely a little nervous. I really wanted to like NO, and I did, I'm so happy we visited. But I hated not being able to shake the feeling of anxiousness while we walked through the streets.

People constantly approached us trying to string Mardi Gras beads around our necks, there were topless bars on every corner, and the heat made the pee in the streets fill our nostrils. The tacky shops selling themed t-shirts and bags of plastic beads reminded me of Old Orchard Beach a lot, just a lot scarier. 
















There were some eclectic voodoo shops scattered about that I wanted to visit, the squeeze not so much. I managed to drag him inside of one and purchased a lucky three-legged frog figurine.
























Starting on Canal Street is where the different parts of the city meet, the shopping/business district is where all the skyscrapers are located, it was so strange to go from old French-style buildings to modern day towers, neon wording and display lights.









The next morning we gave New Orleans another shot and headed to the WWII Museum, what a place! There is so much literature to read and so much information to soak in you could easily spend a week there. All of the volunteers are elderly women and men who are just beaming to talk to you about the history.
























The Arts District where the museum is located had its own collection of buildings, a whole new type of neighborhood. We stopped at an adorable cafe called Bittersweet Confections and grabbed coffee and homemade cupcakes. I definitely began to warm up to New Orleans after the second day, I think the Mardi Gras scene just isn't our thing, I don't understand why people think it's safe or a good idea to go there for Spring Break! To each their own I guess.
















It was definitely a great experience, I'm really glad we came because New Orleans is not like anything I've experienced before. Was it my favorite spot to visit... probably not, but that's ok! We ended the night at the Hard Rock Cafe a block from our hotel where this crazy bar was located. I can't remember exactly how many beer bottles make up this incredible bottle ceiling but I'm pretty sure one of the waiters said it was in the thousands. Off to Houston!


2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Just looking at the pictures, it's sort of like being in a dream. A bad dream mixed in with a good one. Don't know if I'd ever visit there as a destination. Now, Savannah, I might!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots! I'd love to see New Orleans, even just once. The War Museum particularly.

    ReplyDelete